Sunday 12 February 2012

The Obsession Series - Being almost Monica Geller

Dedicated to my sister, Lameez, who called me at the right time, at the right moment. And promised me she wouldn't read this post.

(Which was now :D)


I've thought long and hard to recall a day when I haven't complained about the state our country is in. Oh yeah, I lurve India and all that. But there are many bits and pieces, that I would love to snip out, if not change. And that's the cleanliness. Or rather, the lack of cleanliness.

Ideal Beginning to this story - 
Ever since I was a little girl, I was obsessed about keeping things clean.


Actual Beginning - 
I was such a little brat when it came to being organized. I was an expert at crumbling my clothes and hiding it in all corners of the house, behind the door etc. God alone knows how did I find them. My poor Dad (whom I swear should have been in the army) would bring out the cane to instil some discipline into me, but the cane did indeed make rare appearances.Only because me and my sister (the smart asses that we were) would break cane after cane and hide it behind the refrigerator. :)
Times did change and I can't exactly point out when did I start getting almost obsessed. So much to the point that I couldn't even throw a sweets wrapper outside the window. Yashi, if you're reading this, I changed you, honey :) I did manage to get all my close friends to stop littering the streets. And my brothers thankfully, did not join the clan of spitters/pee'ers on the streets.

This reminds me of an incident I had 3 weeks back. I was munching on Twix (I should probably dedicate an entire post towards my obsession with Twix which will guarantee you respite from insomnia) while waiting for the bus to come. When I put the wrapper into my bag, two guys commented l-o-u-d-l-y - Oh, Avalude oru shuddhi! (Commenting about cleanliness in mockery). If the bus hadn't come then, I would have given them a piece of my mind. And a large one at that.

The worst part - NRIs complain about how dirty the streets and how everything is so perfect back 'home'. Come on, you want a Singapore right here - start building one! We can sit back and complain about the Government not supplying dustbins. Between you and me, we so know that's not happening. So , be smart. And be clean :)

I'm reminded of one of the most beautiful Hadiths -

Narrated Abû Mâlik Al-Hârith bin Âsim Al-Ash’ari: Allah’s Messenger said, “Cleanliness is half of Faith; the utterance of Allah (Al-hamdu lillah – all praise belongs to Allah) fills the scales of good actions; the utterance of Allah (Glory be to Allah and all praise belongs to Allah) fills the space between the heavens and the earth, and Salât (prayer) is light; and charity is the proof of Faith; and endurance is a light, and the Qur’ân is a plea in your favour or against you. Every person begins the morning ready to strike a deal with his soul as a stake; he either ransoms it or puts it into perdition.” (Muslim)

I know that the people who should actually read this are not going to, but as they say, never stop trying!

Issued in Public Interest
by The Girl who dreams too much :)

Monica Geller is a F.R.I.E.N.D.S character who is obsessed about keeping things clean.

2 comments:

  1. nice one Fida! one small doubt.. did u mean 'peace of mind' or u had any pun intended there with 'piece of mind'...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant I would have gladly parted with the piece of my mind that was fuming :)

    ReplyDelete